Thursday, August 20, 2009

The Tooth


I hate the dentist and only go when absolutely necessary. Last year, I cracked a back tooth and really had no option but to go. I told them just pull it out, but they insisted I needed that back tooth and so I had it repaired. About a month ago, I started getting toothache on and off around the same tooth. Two weeks ago the toothache became continuous and unbearable, so I finally gave in and went back to the dentist. An X-ray revealed that it was not that tooth itself causing the problem, but a wisdom tooth coming through with no where to go. It was totally impacted between my jaw bone and the back tooth. Major surgery, or remove the back tooth to allow the wisdom to come through. Ha, wouldn't have removing the tooth the first time I asked have avoided this - um, yes! I opted for removing the back tooth. It took 1 hour and 5 injections to satisfactorily numb the area up and get the damn tooth out. I was surprised at how big the root was, so of course had to bring the tooth home for a photo and to show the kids.
Good things about having a big tooth out:
  1. Lost weight as could only eat soft food for 3 days
  2. Mike enjoyed the weekend as I couldn't talk
  3. Got to sleep in and lie around without guilt (well not much anyway)
  4. No more toothache
Bad things about having a big tooth out:

  1. Could only eat soft food for 3 days
  2. Couldn't talk the whole weekend
  3. Had a fatter than normal face for 3 days
Almost back to normal now, although the wisdom tooth is already starting to pop through, so we'll have to see how that goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment