Thursday, July 29, 2010

Definitely Allergic

I came home from camp feeling a little under the weather.  By the Tuesday, I felt awful and went to the doctors - couldn't get into my own, so went to the local A&E doctors.  I had a sinus infection that had spread to the chest.  Great!  The doctor asked if I was allergic to anything, to which I replied Penicillin.  She asked about my reaction and I advised it was when I was little and ended up with a swollen red face.  She advised I probably would be alright now and give me a penicillin based antibiotic.

The first day was OK.  The second day I was feeling a little irritable and had an itchy head.  My first thought - check for head lice - that was a negative, but I still couldn't figure it out.  By day 3 however, when I was covered in hot red itching welts and red rashes, I knew something was not right.  I couldn't get in to my own doctor again and so thought I'd head up to the chemist.  Definitely allergic to Penicillin. So after a weeks course of a strong anti-histamine, I'm starting to feel a lot better and the rashes have almost gone.

Note to self - ensure the local A&E is updated with the fact I am most definitely allergic to Penicillin - in case I ever end up in there unconscious!

No comments:

Post a Comment