Monday, August 2, 2010

Hair Play

I guess when it comes to my hair, I'm pretty lucky with cuts and colours (well most of the time, anyway), in that having done some training, I can do it all myself.  I even used to perm my own hair.  I did have a few disasters in the early years, but ones which I managed to fix pretty quickly. Nowadays I don't tend to experiment like I used to.  But this past weekend, I threw caution to the wind and decided I was going to get myself some lighter/brighter red chunks, without having to go pay a gazillion dollars at the hairdresser.  I knew my hair was too dark naturally for any bright red dye (one available to the general public that is) to make much of an effect without first lightening my hair.  So I selected the portions I wanted to colour.  1 section across the top and the lower section of my hair from the top of my ears back.  I used the lightening cream until it was light enough for the red to take.  When I came out after the first stage, Mike was wide eyed and open mouthed.  Taryn was saying "yeah mum that's awesome, come to school like that, you'll be the bees knees".  I didn't want to be the bees knees though, so onto stage 2.  I added the red colouring all over, hoping to see a very distinctive lighter middle section.  It sort of worked - Yay!  Not quite as red as I would have liked to go, but good for a start.  It shows up more in the sun, but in the 3rd photo you can still see the lighter sections in the middle and just barely see the ones at the left hand side towards the back.  Now to find an even deeper/brighter red for next time!




When I had finished mine, I still had some of the lightening cream left over.  I offered it to Taryn, to put a couple of blonde streaks through her hair, but she wasn't playing ball, so Jayden opted to have his rats tail lightened, which is kind of cool.  Not cause I specifically like it like that, but because he usually will not try anything out of the ordinary, or anything he feels makes him stand out, so I was happy to see even a sliver of adventurous behaviour.

No comments:

Post a Comment