Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Hawkes Bay Christmas

This year was the first year ever we decided to go away for Christmas - including Christmas day.  We went camping with the Robinson family - although many people have told me that what we do is not really camping - it's more like 'Glamping', as I insist on a powered site and we take the small fridge, the electric wok and many other home comforts.  I don't exactly rough it.  Mike would happily sleep on the ground under a tarp I'm sure, but not me.  I'm too soft.  Anyway, we stayed at Kennedy park in Napier - it was fantastic.  First the Robinson's tent went up, then onto ours.
 At which point, we found the tent my sister lent me had quite a few bent poles - here's a picture of one of them.  I phoned my brother in law immediately to check if he knew, which he did not!  Anyway, it made erecting the tent interesting, but we managed to get the bent poles to have pressure going the opposite way and in fact it slightly straightened some of them by the end of our 10 day stay.  There was also an inner door stuck, as the tent had been folded with the zips closed, but we managed to pop the teeth back in place and open the door.  And everything else was fine.
 Our little present table - In my hurry to pack and leave the day after kids camp, I forgot the little Xmas tree and would you believe it - the kids main Christmas presents!!!!!  Nevermind, we had a blast.
 With gale force winds looming, a windbreak was almost a necessity.  Even though we borrowed the tent, we purchased a windbreak as we loved the tent and have decided we will definitely keep our eyes peeled for one on trademe.
 Mike liked his presents - especially the exotic coffee pack from my sister Michelle and Simon.
 I was making Xmas day pudding and had to crushed biscuits - know how hard that is camping???  Well kiwi  ingenuity -beer bottle worked well.
 Our yummy mid day feast consisted of garlic and rosemary potatoes, maple glazed carrots, pork chops, steamed beans and nice slices of ham.

 And for dessert - my camping masterpiece!  I'm not sure what it is called, but is sort of like lemon curd cheesecake filling with loads of berries on top - Yum!
 On boxing day we started to check out the town of Napier.


 The beaches were quite unusual - not sand - just rocks!

 Taryn altered the picture of her and Jayden on the anchor (from above) and this is the result.  More photo to follow soon.

1 comment: