Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Jayden Turns 10

Still can't believe my 'baby' is 10.  They grow up all too quick for my liking (some days).  Anyway, being the boy that he is, he asked for 'no party' and 'no friends over', just family around for some cake, so that is what we did.

I let him choose his own cake, which he originally chose as a treasure chest, but I wasn't organised enough and couldn't get the 'treasure' items he wanted, or find any of the chocolate fondant I've used previously, so he happily went with his second choice of a porcupine - yay, so simple!  Here is the end result:
I simply made a double batch of vanilla cake and loaded it up into one high edged round pan, then cooked it a little higher than usual, so it rose high in the middle (and split a little too which was expected), which provided me with the basic shape of the body.  I only had to trim a little from each side and end, which I then used to create the nose end.  Jayden loved it and everyone enjoyed the chocolate fingers.  Now I have to admit, that I was going to use flakes and cut them in half, then each half into four pieces lengthwise (a heck of a job), when Michael asked if I was going to use chocolate finger biscuits!  Hmm, I hadn't thought of that and it seemed so much easier, so that' what I did!

No comments:

Post a Comment