Monday, December 21, 2009

Yummy Flowers

Last Wednesday we had the Camp Maynard Christmas Dinner. Usually we go out to a restaurant, but this year, given tight financial times and the fact that we are having to spend a small fortune on a new septic system, we decided to have a low key BBQ at the camp.

Clive and I did the grocery shopping on the Tuesday, then I went up Wednesday afternoon and cooked a pasta salad, potato bake, made a green salad and couscous salad and mini lemon meringue tarts for pudding.

Just before dinner, Adrian (chairperson of the committee) gave a small speech, then had me step forward as he proceeded to tell everyone how I was hardly ever home because I was always up at the camp (to which my husband was nodding) and how I did so much work for the camp and had organised and prepared the majority of the BBQ food etc. I was quite embarrassed. I like to work away in the background, not be put in the spotlight like that. I also do the work because I enjoy it, love Camp Maynard and have and will probably always, do more than my fair share of community based work, because it just simply needs to be done, not for rewards of any kind. However, I must say, the flowers were yummy and the words and thoughts were nice and it really does make you feel good when someone recognises you, even if it's a little more public than you'd like.

Thanks for the yummy flowers!

No comments:

Post a Comment