Monday, January 25, 2010

Christmas Pinata

For as long as I can remember, our family (extended on mums side) has had a Pinata at Christmas time. Originally we would all get together on Christmas Day and have it, but as the family grew and another generation came along, more and more of us had to split our Christmas Days with our respective partners families and so we started getting together on Boxing Day instead. We now have the Pinata on Boxing Day.
Christmas Days used to be mainly at mums place, with the odd one at 230 Beach haven Rd (my Uncle's house). Every year my mum would think of something new to make and commence making the Pinata. My brother made her a very fancy star one once, but it was near impossible to break open. My Aunt Pat also helped her with a few, as did I and My Aunt Pat also made the odd one herself if my memory serves me correctly.

Anyway, a few years back mum and Aunt Pat decided it really need to go down to the next generation to make the Pinata (or Pinny as we call it). It has however taken 3 years for that to actually happen. So last year, I made my first Pinata - a Christmas Wreath. It was hard to know how strong to make it and so I did perhaps go overboard on the reinforcing, but it lasted right through till the last child and then was finally beaten to a pulp, allowing the lollies and presents to fall out.

I've already started thinking about what to make for this year's Pinny (although I will actually be away for Boxing Day this year), so if anyone has some cool ideas, feel free to share. Here's a pic of my first ever Pinata:

2 comments:

  1. Yes it was a big one! Photo might make it look bigger than it was, but probably still at least a meter across.

    ReplyDelete