Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Jayden heads to school camp

I thought it was supposed to get easier with the 2nd child, but I found sending Jayden off to school camp a lot harder than Taryn.  I struggled with the decision of whether to go as a parent helper or not (I went on both of Taryn's camps), but decided it would be good for him to go alone as I felt he would probably cling a little if I was there and rely on me for things he needs to learn to do and cope with on his own.
     So as I battled with what would be better for him, yet not wanting it to appear as though 1 child was being treated differently than the other, I also struggled wandering if he would be OK, what would his behaviour be like, how would he cope in the evenings when he really needs quite wind down time, how would parents that don't know about his ADHD cope with any outbursts, if he got wound up, could one of them calm him down, would he get one of his awful juvenile migraines while away and a whole host of other things.  I've always kept him close, so this is all new territory for me.
     We talked a lot about behaviour, about staying calm, about keeping voices down, about quiet time, ensuring he gets to sleep early and generally just being well behaved and nice to other people.  We packed his gear and armed with the higher end dosage of his meds, have sent him off for 3 days at camp.
     I'm confident of the ability of the teachers and parent helpers that I know who are at camp to take care of him, but I still can't help the worry creeping in just a little about how he will be.  So, I am sitting here trying to  trust my decision was the right one for him.  I guess we'll know soon enough!
    

No comments:

Post a Comment