Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Hand Sitting Practice

I've had a lot on my plate over the past few weeks and this week and next week aren't going to be any better, with loads of work to do for school, for the camp, at home, for Plunket and preparing for ScrapCamp. So when I went to my last meeting, I decided it was time to put my hand sitting into practice. As required items were read out, I resisted the temptation to put my hand up and offer to do it. Instead I took the opportunity to really think about what was being asked and consider whether or not I actually had the time to do it. There was a bit of silence for almost a minute, but then, someone else put their hand up. Wow, waiting a bit longer actually gives others the opportunity to come forward. Next item took a little bit longer again, but same thing. The third item wasn't quite as easy, but in the end, it was mentioned that we could just buy in what was required at a very reasonable price, seeing as everyone really had enough jobs each. Everyone agreed. Next item someone offered to do straight away (that's what I would normally have done). So, at the end of the meeting I hadn't put my hand up to do a single solitary thing and you know what happened - nothing! I left the meeting with the same list of jobs to do as I went in with, knowing that I would not have the extra stress of more jobs and that I was actually already doing enough and that others will offer if you give them sufficient time to do so and the world doesn't end if you decide that you are not going to take on anything more at the moment.

So that's one down and many to go, but I am determined to continue practicing hand sitting, thinking ahead before offering additional help, knowing that it will actually all be OK!

1 comment: