Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Mother & Son Day

On Saturday, Mike had planned to take the kids to the rugby. It was cold and wet outside and there was no way I was going to be going to the rugby in that weather. I also had Paula's birthday drinks/party in Papakura, so wanted to head off while it was still light as I hadn't been there before. Jayden decided he really didn't want to go to the rugby either and wanted to stay home with me. Initially Mike said No, but when I saw that he really didn't want to go, I explained that I had quite a few things to do and was going out to Paula's that afternoon and so as long as he understood that and could keep himself occupied at home for a while and was happy to go to Paula's with me if dad didn't come home in time, then he could stay home with me. Yeah!!! was his reaction.

Before Mike and Taryn left for the rugby, I started getting stuck into all the things I needed to do. By the time they left, I was ahead of myself and so when Jayden asked me if we could lie on the couch and watch a bit of TV I said "sure". It was one of the nicest cuddles I'd had with him in a long time. We lay there for nearly an hour and I couldn't even tell you what was on the TV, I wasn't really paying attention. I was thinking more about how nice it was that at 8 he was still happy to snuggle up on the couch with me and chill out. I was also enjoying a bit of the sometimes rare calm and quiet Jayden, which you don't often get with ADHD children. Of course the hour didn't go by without him trying to tickle me once or twice and push me off the couch, but for the most of it, it was just nice and relaxing being there with him.

When I heard the washing machine beep, sounding the end of the load, I resumed my housework activities and shortly afterwards, we left for Paula's house. I told Jayden where we were going and the name of the turnoff we were looking for. All along the way, he started pointing out different off ramps, saying that one leads to where the Easter Show is, that one leads to the hospital Taryn went to, that one leads to Aunt Lynne's etc. I was amazed at his memory, as many of the places we have been only once or twice. He then saw the Papakura exit sign and promptly told me we needed to turn off at the next exit. When we arrived, Jayden helped Paula and I carry a few things outside to set up the tables, but then found he was a little bored, until Kurt (Paula's stepson) set up the Playstation for him. We don't have a Playstation or XBox at home, so it's always a treat when he gets to have a go on someone else's and in this case, all to himself. I checked on him several times, but he was just happy playing away, not even wanting dinner (although he did come out quite quickly for pudding!!!).

Around 9pm, we headed home and he chatted all the way and told me he'd had a great day just the two of us and asked if we could have another Mother and Son day soon. How nice was that. No-one was home when we got home, so we changed for bed, read some stories and then he drifted off to sleep and I finished off a few bits and pieces before Taryn and Mike came home just after 10pm. What a great day all round and yes I will most definitely do it again real soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment