Thursday, September 24, 2009

A little Inspiration

Mike and I were lucky enough to go to an opening night art exhibition last night at La Premiere Lounge, Sylvia Park, to view the absolutely inspirational work of Dave Sotogi.

Many of his paintings were in colours and tones that would suit our decor beautifully and I fell in lovely with one in particular. Our financial situation being what it is however, there was never a chance of coming away with one of those gorgeous masterpieces. Deep blood reds against neutral tones really stood out. There was one of a Maori chief and it was exquisite. The lines and the tattoos on his face seemed to lean out of the painting at you with a depth that would normally only be seen in a crystal clear, larger than life photograph.

I was astounded at his ability to paint portraits, landscapes and nature all so beautifully. I have seen many artists paint on type very well, but he seems able to do it all. Most definitely a very talented painter and if you ever get the opportunity to see his work, I highly recommend doing so.

There were also some ceramic lamps and vases on display (on loan) and these caught my eye. They were pierced pieces with the holes forming intricate patterns and they certainly gave me some well needed inspiration to get back into the studio and hand build some ceramic pieces, play with some clay and get designing some new pieces of my own. Of course with the school holidays and camp upon us, that will all have to wait a couple of weeks, but I am definitely inspired to reconnect to my creative side with ceramics.

No comments:

Post a Comment