Monday, September 5, 2011

Enough is enough!

In January of the year I was turning 40, I decided I didn't want to be hugely overweight for my 40th birthday, so I set about to lose some weight.  My birthday is in July and so I had 6 months to try and get a few kilos off.  I actually managed to lose 17-18kgs.  I felt great, even though I still could have lost another 15 kilos to reach my ultimate goal. I had a great 40th party and was enjoying all my new clothes.
 
I don't really know when it all started creeping back on, perhaps slowly at first so that I didn't notice, but eventually it was all back on!  More recently, I have certainly been noticing it.  Whilst I have been my current weight for more than a year now, many of my friends have recently started losing weight and somehow I feel even bigger.

The biggest shock to me, was how hard I went down when I recently got the flu/asthma/sinus & chest infection  and how I am still struggling to shake the dregs of it. I am positive that had I not put the weight back on and perhaps remained a bit fitter, I'd have coped much better.  Despite all of this though and despite wanting to be slimmer, I've just, for whatever reason, not had any motivation to get started.

This past weekend I held a Scrapbook retreat and was reading a magazine about a scrapbooker who was always behind the camera and realised she was capturing her family memories all without being in them - primarily because she didn't like having her photo taken and I thought - that's me too, because I don't like how I look in photos.  Not only that, there are things I don't do because of my weight - swimming at the beach - or anywhere for that matter.  Not only I am missing out on these things, but I am missing out on sharing them with my family!  OK I though - Enough is enough!

So, with some combined inspiration from friends, a magazine story and the desire to get fitter, get smaller and start enjoying life a bit more, I'm starting my healthier lifestyle TODAY!

My plan - to eat better (of course), but also I want to change some of my ways (habits), so every week, I'm going to introduce 1 or 2 small changes and see if I can maintain them long enough for them to be the new (healthier) habits.  I'll keep you posted!

1 comment: