Tuesday, February 28, 2012

First Harvest

The first items to be harvested from my garden were my beetroot.  I love beetroot and will admit to being a Watties beetroot snob, as nothing else seems to even come close, but I figured hey, I'll try to grow and pickle my own just once and then I can at least say I did try home-grown ones.

Well here they are after being cooked and mildly pickled and you know what - they taste pretty darn close to Wattie's sliced beetroot, so I think I will definitely grow them again.  Probably not so many this time, as had so many, I couldn't have preserved them all in time and so gave mum a bunch and my dear friend Denise  a bunch and still have some left in the garden.
Will have to find another recipe to try for the last harvest of beetroot coming out soon.

1 comment:

  1. I love beetroot too, I think its great you can grow your own.

    ReplyDelete