Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Vege Garden

Having dabbled with growing veges in pots and planter boxes on the deck, I wanted to try and expand my crop size and range.  We had an unused corner in the backyard beside the shed, so I bought a couple of metres of half round edging, some stakes and off I set.  first I cleared the area (which had become a bit of a rubbish pile), then Jayden helped me set up the garden edge.


Not a pretty shot, but looking at this know, I definitely know I have lost a fair bit of weight!!! anyway, back to the subject at hand...


Once the edging was secure, I filled the entire areas with the compost Mike had been making in his compost bins and planted out tomatoes, chillies and beetroot.  It looked so sparse, I wondered if I had planted enough in there.
A few weeks later, my wondering was answered with a definite YES.  I had planted more than enough in there and these plants were obviously loving all that compost.  I had to stake all the plants within a matter of weeks, then had to re-stake the tomato plants with taller stronger stakes.  the garden just went wild!
All i used in the garden was the compost and the water, with a little soap based spray to more naturally control the bugs.  Big plans in place for the veges that come out of this garden!

No comments:

Post a Comment