Friday, November 20, 2009

A bit of baking

A few weeks ago I decided I was getting a bit tired of the same old food making it's way to the table. With the busy times and odd dinner times some days, I'd got down to about a dozen or so trusted easy meals and found I was repeating them each fortnight. I'd also been watching Glenna and Wendy's blogs on their baking and it got me inspired. Time for a change. I'd just bought a Woman's Day (which i hadn't done in the past few months) and that had some nice looking recipes in it. I then took down some cook books (dusting off the cobwebs..lol) and had a good look through.

Since then, in between the craziness and whilst the painted writing was drying on the tiles etc, I managed to bake 4 new things that I have never made before and so far, all have the thumbs up from Mike. The kids weren't as pleased with the pie, stating they really liked my other pies, but hey still pretty good stats if you ask me.

So, I've decided to share them (and the recipes - slightly altered to suit in some cases) with you. Let me know if you try them and how they turn out.

First was Popovers - weird name?


3 eggs
1/3 cup cheese
1 cup milk
1 cup plain flour
1/2 tspn salt
other ingredients of your choice - bacon, onion etc - I used some basil pesto, pine nuts and diced chorizo sausage.

Place muffin pan in hot oven to heat. (I used 215 oC)
Whisk eggs and mil together, then whisk in flour and salt, then stir in cheese and other ingredients.
Remove pan from oven, spray with oil and pour batter evenly into each muffin cup. Return to hot oven and bake for 25 minutes until well risen and golden brown. Super yum as light dinner with a salad or a good snack.

Easy Lemon Tart

Firstly, I have to admit it is meant to be in a smaller dish and therefore a bit higher, but didn't have one, so wide and thin it was!

Into a food processor, place:

4 eggs
1 cup sugar
100gm melted butter
1/2 cup flour
3/4 cup coconut
zest of 2 lemons
1/3 cup lemon juice
1 cup milk

Process till thoroughly mixed, pour into 20-23cm pan and bake at 170 oC for 45 minuets or until pie is turning dark golden on top and the filing is set. We had this hot with a bit of icecream the first night, but it was also pretty good cold when it had set a bit firmer in the fridge.

Both easy, both yum. More photos and recipes to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment