Thursday, November 19, 2009

There's busy, very busy, then CRAZY!

That's what it has been like for me for the past couple of weeks. I'm just starting to come to the end of it now, so looking forward to some downtime. This blog post might be a bit of a marathon, but will try and keep it sort as possible while I recount the past 2 weeks.

So, it started with a surprise visit from my brother at the end of October (as per previous posts) and all the preparations (baking etc), for my sister Jo's birthday. There were also gardening jobs, cricket practice, Parent Support Group and preparations for the upcoming Plunket baby feet tiling sessions at my house.

The second week commenced with Monday and Tuesday being hugely busy with the tiling. Nearly 100 baby/toddler prints on tiles, mugs and plates. Then off to cricket practice and for me - training on how to score girls cricket. Then there was the clean up work on the Wednesday and the first load of tiles into the kiln, followed by kids after school ceramic classes, and the usual evening stuff. Thursday was shopping for supplies for the catering job Jo and I had for the Saturday, along with baking some of the items that could be stored for 2 days. Also had to pop out and do Mike's banking, pay some bills, do at least some washing and the try and tidy the kitchen a little before more baking on the Friday. Friday was more baking (brownie - yum), buying more serving trays, buying an electric knife and getting everything ready for the catering job the next day after Taryn's cricket. Cooked dinner and had just washed the mini muffin pans ready to take over to Jo's with the ingredients she needed for the baking she was going to do. I had 2 batches of brownie to go when Wendy rang to say she'd been having niggles all day and would I come over and sit with her, as Ashley was out getting ready to play at the final of battle of the bands. OF COURSE I would!!! No way she needed to ask me that one twice. I was super excited for her, especially considering how long she'd been wanting for this and the fact she was a week overdue. So a mad dash to Jo's, then on the Motorway. - On arrival at Wendy's, some plan's had changed, as the band had pulled out of the final (long story and let's not go there), so Ashley was in fact on his way home. Wendy and I sat and chatted, with the odd contraction here and there, then Ashley arrived home and things ramped up some. I wont go into detail, as it wasn't my labour and so not my place, but let's just say Wendy did an awesome job and stayed at home well past what most new mums would have I'm sure. It was really getting excited. Then it was time for them to head off to the birthing unit. I headed home. I was on such a high, but fell completely flat on the way home and had a good cry. Labour is emotional, even when it's not your own. If you are there experiencing it, you can't help but get caught up in it. Plus, I was way tired and hadn't stopped for the better part of 2 weeks. I got home just after midnight but was still totally wired, waiting on news baby had arrived, so as much as I needed sleep, I couldn't, so got another brownie done. I then went to bed around 12.45 and lay there awake wondering how Wendy was doing. baby arrived at 1.46 and Wendy txt me at about 2.45. I think I dropped off around 3.30 and was up again around 7am, totally buggered, with a big day ahead.

Saturday morning, started with cricket in Mt Roskill and we had to be there by 8am! Straight home from cricket and off to the catering job. right after that, had to go and pick up Taryn's friend Wiloh for Taryn's birthday sleepover. Then off to Gary and Tracy's for dinner (arranged by Mike). It was good not to have to cook that night, but my bed was calling me. Had 3 1/2 glasses of wine and i was toast! Slept most of Sunday, but obviously not long enough, as headed over to the birthing unit to do baby feet prints on tiles for Wendy, only to get all the way out there (Botany) and find I had left the paints behind!!!

Since then I have been busy trying to get these tiles, mugs and plates fired, staying up late at night to get another load into the kiln, (baking in between the paint drying), attending cricket practice and more scoring training, Camp Maynard meetings and letting tradesmen in at the camp during the day to get some work done. Finally today I got a short breather around 11am. I considered having a quick nap, but as I walked down the hall, I noticed that the dust bunnies were so bad, they were trying to grab my leg as I walked past, so out came the vacuum. From there I decided something scrummy for tea was in order and so made a sausage pie (first time) and it wasn't too bad. I'd change it up a bit next time, but good first attempt.

Looking forward to Monday afternoon. Tiles etc are being picked up Monday morning, so get to have a decent breather. As for tomorrow, 2 ladies will be here doing some work on their clay pieces, then if time permits I'll pop over to Wendy's to get those precious feet painted up and if that doesn't a day with her next week might be in order. I thought I would have seen much more of tiny by now, by my CRAZY schedule just hasn't allowed for that. Dang it all!

So, here's looking forward to a bit of normal.

ps. for those that are reading this saying so much for the hand sitting, I am still practicing that, but when something involves financial reward, one must say yes in these economic times. Posts and photos of baking soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment